Prairie Gold Jewellery has been a family owned and operated business in Grande Prairie for over 30 years. The company began as Lou’s Jewellery Ltd., established in 1971 as a small jewellery store in Fort Nelson, B.C. by trained watchmaker and jeweller Louis Martin and his wife, Barbara. Lou completed his training at the Institute of Trades in Toronto in 1959 before beginning his long jewellery career.
Truly a Family Business
When Lou and Barbara moved with their family to Grande Prairie in 1984, they continued to specialize in the jewellery industry by buying a jewellery store in Slave Lake, Alberta and opening Prairie Gold Jewellery in downtown Grande Prairie in 1986. Then, in the spring of 2000, with retail development expanding to the west side of the city, Prairie Gold Jewellery moved to its present location in the Gateway Power Centre. Over the years, Lou and Barbara’s 3 children, Barry, Debbie, and Michelle, have joined the family business.
Personalized, Exceptional Service in the Peace Country
After 50 years in the jewellery industry, it was natural that Lou and Barbara retire and let their children, who have all followed in their parents’ footsteps, operate the stores. They are proud to continue the personalized, exceptional service that has always been their family’s priority and has made Prairie Gold Jewellery a prominent independent business in the Peace Country since 1986.